Over the years, trekking has evolved as quite a loved sport and all the trekkers out there are surely acquainted with the importance of a trekking pole. A Trekking Pole is a must have for all the mountain hikers and trekkers. This forms up a special part of all the hiking gear you might need to get the best out of your experience. They prove out to be great supporters during the complete hiking trip.
- List of best Trekking Poles 2019:-
- What is the Trekking Pole?
- Top 4 Trekking Pole Reviews 2019
List of best Trekking Poles 2019:-
|Rank||Best Trekking Poles||Review||Price|
|#1||Hiker Hunger Carbon Fiber||Read Review||Check Price|
|#2||High Trek Trekking Poles||Read Review||Check Price|
|#3||Cascade Mountain Tech Trekking Poles:||Read Review||Check Price|
|#4||BAFX Products A-8956||Read Review||Check Price|
What is the Trekking Pole?
A trekking pole is much like a traditional walking stick, only the purpose and features modified. They look like the ski poles and have rubber-padded handles and wrist strap. A trekking pole’s maximum length is 135 cm. They are normally used by the hikers for support and adding some rhythm to their walking pace.
Trekking Poles are mainly intended for use on the steep slopes and uncertain terrain since they provide the needed stability. However, they can also be used on flat terrain to increase physical activity. Trekking poles can also be attached to a backpack. Some trekking poles can also be used as tent poles in backpacking tents.
Top five reasons why you must buy a Trekking Pole
While some hikers might seem to underestimate the use of trekking poles based upon their capabilities, having a trekking pole with you on your next trekking trip will prove out to be really supportive. While climbing, the body can always some extra support to be safe. Here are the top five reasons as to why you must buy a Trekking Pole.
- Increase speed: Using trekking poles while hiking causes your arms to propel you to move forward and pushing you upward. This phenomenon works well for both the steep and the flat terrain. This eventually helps you get on with your average speed by gaining all the required support.
- Reducing the impact on your legs: When you are using a trekking pole, the impact on your legs, knees, feet, and ankles is greatly reduced. Latest studies have been known to prove that the use of trekking poles takes down the compressive force on the knees by 25%. When going downhill, this principle will be seen working at its best.
- Maintain a consistent rhythm: Trekking poles help you to establish and maintain a consistent rhythm while walking. This will add to your overall speed and will help you move faster. This would work the best while trekking on flat terrain or a non-technical surface.
- Maintain a balance: While trekking, it is very important to maintain balance at all times to eliminate the risk of falling down. A trekking pole helps you exactly that and hence making trekking easier and faster. While crossing a river, or crossing slippery bog bridges, additional balance support can always be used.
- Alleviate some weight: Using trekking poles can help you alleviate some of the weight you might be carrying. In case you are carrying a heavy backpack, the trekking poles will provide you support to slow down and release some of the weight by leaning down on the poles.
Factors to consider before buying a Trekking Pole
Before buying a trekking pole for your next hike trip, you need to keep in mind the following major points.
- They must be Adjustable: Your trekking poles must be adjustable in length in order to provide the correct stability needed according to the surface you are on. For example, you might want to shorten the pole while going uphill and lengthen it while going downhill. Usually, these poles adjust from 24 to 55 inches and you must choose the one that suits you the best.
- They must be shock-absorbing: Some of the trekking poles contain internal springs that are efficient in absorbing shock. This is usually needed when you are going downhill. You must opt for a trekking pole that offers to turn this option on/off, as most of them do. These prove to be useful in case you have weak or damaged knees or feet.
- They must be Ultralight: While trekking, your backpack and your own body weight add much to the total weight, and you wouldn’t want to carry extra unnecessary weight. So, the poles must be very lightweight so that they do not cause any fatigue.
- The material of construction: Usually, the trekking poles come in two materials. Carbon fiber and aluminium. Aluminium poles are stronger than the carbon poles but carbon poles are lighter than the aluminium poles. Depending upon the area you are going to use them on, you must take into account to consider the construction material too.
- They must be packable: While trekking and mountain climbing, it is important that these poles are shorter and can be packed inside the backpacks when not needed. You should always look for the ones that are attachable to the backpacks or at least foldable.
Top 4 Trekking Pole Reviews 2019
These are one of the strongest trekking poles from Hiker Hunger which are known to be extremely lightweight and are perfect for mid-winter expeditions, far-flung adventures, and backpacking routes. The key features of this trekking pole are as follows.
- It is a 3-section pole and is extremely easy to open and close.
- The collapsed size of these trekking poles is 24 inches and the extended size is 54 inches.
- It comes with two trekking poles with cork grips, wrist wraps, nonslip EVA form grip extensions, and tungsten carbide tips.
- As per the extras, 2 rubber feet, 2 mud baskets, 2 rubber tips, 2 snow baskets and a carry bag with a strap have been included along these poles.
- These are extremely lightweight with each pole being 7.6 ounces which forms up to be 15.2 ounces for two poles.
- They are adjustable because of the quick flip lock and can be collapsed and stored in the backpack when not in use.
- It’s carbon composite material makes its ultralight that reduces vibration and retains strength over a wide temperature range.
- These poles have been fitted with trekking baskets which can easily be twisted on/off or can be replaced with mud or snow basket.
- They come with durable tungsten carbide tips and also include tip protectors for protection.
- The tips on the poles are also interchangeable and you can switch between rubber tips, tungsten-carbide tips and rubber feet for all kinds of trail surfaces.
These are ultralight trekking poles from High Trek which comes with its own accessory kit and prove to be a premium hiking equipment for all kinds of adventures with nature. The key features of these trekking poles are listed as follows.
- These have been made with aerospace-grade 7075 aluminium which induces a strong design.
- These are extremely lightweight with each pole weighing only 8.5 ounces.
- These are low impact trekking poles and induce softer impact so that the hiking is easier on your joints.
- These are easily adjustable and can be extended from 23 inches to 53 inches in length.
- It also features an easy lever lock height adjustment and is perfect for both tall and short people.
- They come with ergonomically designed EVA handles that ensures a comfortable grip and provides comfort all day long.
- They come with adjustable wrist straps to ensure you don’t drop then accidentally.
- They are equipped with tungsten-tipped ends that help you to tackle any kind of terrain.
- They also come with removable rubber ferrules and snow/mud baskets.
- They come with a 1-year warranty plan.
- The accessory kit includes snow baskets, monster feet, and a convenient carry bag.
These are one of the excellent trekking poles from Cascade Mountain Tech which are known to provide the best durability and excellent grip size to ensure a memorable hiking experience. The key features of these trekking poles are as follows.
- These trekking poles are adjustable in height from 26 inches to 53 inches.
- These are also extremely lightweight with each pole weighing only 8 ounces.
- It features the quick lock features for easy height adjustment.
- It also comes with a G36 cork handle grip.
- The cork grip easily conforms to your hand shape and provides exceptional comfort.
- The cork material is also effective in wicking away sweat and lowering the vibration with each step.
- The shaft material for these trekking poles is made up of carbon fiber.
- The tip material of these trekking poles is tungsten carbide which is well known to be durable and suitable for long trekking trips.
- They come with an adjustable strap.
- They also come with a tip kit included.
- These are great for both men and women hikers.
- It comes with a 100% Guarantee.
These are trekking trail/hiking/walking poles from BAFX which are well known for their durability and ensuring a comfortable trekking experience. The key features of this trekking pole have been listed below.
- These trekking poles are made up of durable lightweight aluminium.
- These poles can be extended from 26.5 inches to 52 inches.
- The poles can be extended using the turn locking system.
- Each pole comes with measuring marks in the middle section that can be used to reach an easy adjustment level.
- These poles come with anti-shock springs for a more comfortable trekking experience.
- They come with comfortable and stylish hand grips with ergonomic design.
- The hand grips have been ribbed to avoid slippage due to sweaty hands.
- The wrist strap is padded and widened for a more comfortable grip.
- They come with carbine tips and 4 rubber tips along with extra mud/snow baskets.
- They have a durable metal tip under the rubber foot at the bottom to make it possible to use on every kind of terrain.
- These also come with anti-shock spring located on the upper section that reduces the impact while using these poles.
- These are lightweight poles of 12 ounces each.
- These are great for regular walks and leisurely hiking too.
- It comes with a warranty of 1 year.
Trekking and hiking have been recognized as one of the most sought after outdoor adventure sports today. Not only it is fun, but they do feel the adventurous soul with all it needs. As much as it is, it is also important to ensure that this adventure doesn’t cost you your well-being. Using trekking poles as a means of added support will never disappoint you.
Earlier, hikers used to consider carrying a trekking pole as an added bulk to all the existing backpack and stuff. But with these trekking poles that are easily adjustable with a quick lock mechanism, they can be packed into the bag when not needed. Not only these provide support to your knees and legs, but they can also share the weight of your backpack and your body.
With the different kinds of trekking poles available, you can choose the one that exactly serves the purpose that you want. Providing you sheer support, the trekking pole can also be used to measure or simply take an idea of the depth while crossing a river or a muddy terrain. On a slippery surface, if you have a trekking pole, your grip will be improvised by inducing added balance.
The fact that these trekking poles add to the style factor cannot be neglected. You can even choose from various colours available to match your definition of cool. Trekking Poles is an important trekking tool. Make sure you trade in all the important factors and choose the best one for yourself.